Sterling CO Project 101
Sterling Postcard (FINAL)_Page_1

Sterling Police Department  970-522-3512
Colorado Drivers License  970-522-5982
Colorado License Plates  970-522-1158
Logan County Humane Society 970-520-2804 or 970-466-7387
Logan County Chamber of Commerce  970-522-5070
Logan County Economic Development Corporation (LCEDC)  970-521-7196
Logan County Visitors Center  970-522-8962
District Attorneys Office  970-522-6565
Logan County Court  970-522-1572
NE Colorado Health Department  970-522-3741

  970 521-0632 

THE CITY OF STERLING  HAS 4 EV CHARGEPOINT STATIONS AT 130 N 4TH STREET. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL CHANCE WRIGHT (970) 522-2619. After hours or weekends call dispatch (970) 522-3512.

When and why do I need a contractor license?

If you are doing work on a residential home or business within the City of Sterling. If you have questions please call the Public Works Department at (970) 522-9700 or e-mail to

A home owner does not need a licensed contractor if they are working on the home that they live-in. The home owner will need to check with Public Works (970) 555-9700 to find out if a permit is required. All rental properties must have a licensed contractor when work is completed at the property.

What type of permits due I apply for?

There is a list of permits and licenses under forms on the Public Works Department page under Permits and Licenses.

How do I apply for a permit or Contractors License?

In person: Public Works office is located at 421 N 4th Street. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

On-Line: Go to Forms or Public Works Department-Permit and License section of the web-page fill out and sign appropriate application. Pay the amount designated or call the Public Works Department to acquire the appropriate fees. Go to the online payment section of the web-site and forward payment verification number along with application and other documents if required to You will be informed when the permit or license is completed.

When does a permit expire? Permits are good for 180 days.


How many animals can I have in my house?
Attached is the section of the Sterling Municipal Code that answers this question.
Appendix A Chapter VII. Special Regulations
Section 703.2 Household Pets: Pets, such as dogs and cats but not livestock, which are generally kept within a dwelling, shall be considered as a permitted accessory use, provided not more than three (3) animals (more than four (4) months old) are kept in any one (1) dwelling.

How do I file a complaint?

In person: Public Works office is located at 421 N 4th Street. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Telephone: Our telephone number is (970) 522-9700. Anyone wishing to speak with a staff person may call this number between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. If the telephone line is already in use, you may leave your complaint information on the answering machine. Complaints may also be recorded at this same telephone number 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Online: Complaints may be filed online twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week by using the CITIZEN REQUEST CENTER box on the front page of this website.

What can I do if I get a notice and do not understand the violation?

Call your inspector at (970) 522-9700. Code Enforcement encourages you to call, not only if you have received a violation, but to answer any question you may have regarding your neighborhood. Code Enforcement is here to work with you to insure that our community will remain a highly valued place to reside. If you have further question, please do not hesitate to call.

What happens if I have a violation?

Once a violation has been observed, it is the intent of Code Enforcement to have the resident/property owner come into voluntary compliance. To accomplish this, the resident is normally given 10 days to take whatever action is requested to correct the problem. On the scheduled compliance date, a follow-up inspection is conducted. If the violation is still on the property additional informal and formal steps may be used to gain compliance. For instance, an attempt to contact responsible party may be made in person or certified mail. It is also possible that a civil court process may be initiated.


How do I report a street light not working?

Street lights are repaired by Xcel Energy; therefore it is important that we have the most accurate description of where the street light is and the nature of the malfunction so we can report the information on a timely manner.

Street light pole location:Pole Number:Nature of the problem:Name:Address:Daytime Telephone Number:

What do I do if there is a traffic signal out?

For all traffic signals within the City of Sterling, Please have the following information available when you call:

What are the cross streets where the signal is located?What direction of travel is the light out for?Is it a red, yellow or green light?Is the light mounted over the traffic, on a median, on a corner?What is damaged or missing?Are all the lights out?

Who is responsible for maintenance and repair of my sidewalk?

The City’s Sidewalk Ordinance requires that all property owners be responsible for maintenance, repair, and liability of the sidewalk in front and on each side of their property. If the sidewalk is in the rear of the property or alley way, it may be the City's responsibility. You can call the Public Works Department or the Streets Division at (970) 522-9700 to investigate.


Do I need a permit for placing a dumpster, or storage pod in the street?

Yes, a permit is required to place a dumpster or storage pod in the public right of way. Visit the Public Works website for permit forms and accompanying procedures for obtaining permits.

You can also call the Public Works Department of at (970) 522-9700 with questions about obtaining permits or visit the City of Sterling Administration Office at 421 N 4th Street.

Powered By Revize Login