Permits and Licenses

Types of Permits

Building permits are required to erect, enlarge, alter or repair a structure in the City of Sterling.

Permits are also required for siding; windows; doors; reroofing; sign installation; fence installation and repair; demolitions; home occupations; mobile home hookups; excavations in the City right-of-way; mechanical (includes heating, cooling, & ventilation systems); and zoning compliance permits (required for the establishment of a new conforming use in an existing commercial structure.)

Permit Applications and Permits
A permit application is not a permit.  Once an application is approved and payment is complete the application is processed. When a permit is completed by the Public Works Administrative Assistant a copy of the permit is mailed to address listed on the application.  The home owner or licensed contractor may also request an emailed copy of the permit or  may obtained a copy of the permit at City hall located at 421 N 4th Street.

Permit Fees
Permit fees vary with the type of permit issued. Building permit fees are established according to the fee chart published in the Uniform Building Code currently adopted by the City of Sterling. Please send all permit inquiries and forms to

In addition to a building permit fee, a City use tax is charged based on one-half of the project’s total valuation. Use tax is imposed on the privilege of storing, using or consuming in the City any construction and building materials purchased at retail.

In some cases, a plan review fee may be required.

Failure to obtain the necessary permits may result in additional fees and penalties.

Storage sheds are exempt from the permitting requirement unless they are larger than 120 sq. ft.

Once a completed permit is received a building inspection can be requested by contacting the Public Works Department one-half day prior to the time the inspection is needed.

Plumbing and electrical permits are filed through the State of Colorado and are inspected by local state plumbing and electrical inspectors. However, plumbing and electrical permit application forms are available from the Public Works Department.

When in doubt about the need for a permit, or for information regarding permits and fees, please contact the Public Works Department.

The City has adopted the 2006 (ICC) International Building Codes see attached letter for roofing permit applications.

2018 ICC Building codes
Climate and Geographic Design Criteria 2023

Exterior Coverings
Section R703.2 Water-Resistant Barriers:
One Layer of No. 15 Asphalt felt, free from holes and breaks, complying with ASTM D226 for Type 1 felt or other approved water-resistant barrier shall be applied over studs or sheathing of all exterior walls. Installed before any exterior veneer.


Footing:  After excavation is complete and reinforcing steel and forms are in place but prior to placement of concrete.

Foundation Wall: After forms and reinforcing steel are in place but prior to placement of concrete.

Underfloor: After all under floor building service equipment, conduit and piping are in place but prior to installation of concrete or floor sheathing.

Roofing Inspections see Attached Requirements
Roof Inspection Requirements

Rough Mechanical: After all wiring pipes and ducts are in place but prior to concealment.

Framing: After the roof, all framing, fire-blocking and bracing are in place and all pipes, chimneys and vents are complete and the rough mechanical, plumbing and electrical have been inspected and approved but prior to installation of insulation and wallboard.

Wall Board: After all gypsum board or lathing, interior or exterior is in place but before any plastering is applied or before gypsum board fasteners are taped and finished.

Final Mechanical: After all service equipment has been installed and is ready to be put in service.

Final Building Inspection: After the final mechanical, electrical and plumbing inspections have been completed and signed off and the building is complete and ready to occupy.

Notice: It shall be the duty of the permit applicant to cause the work to remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes. Neither the building official nor the City of Sterling shall be liable for expense entailed in the removal or replacement of any material required to allow an inspection.

Approval as a result of inspection shall not be construed to be an approval of a violation of the provisions of the building code or any other ordinance of the City of Sterling


Inspection requests received prior to 12:00 Noon will be done in the afternoon of the same day. Inspections requested after 12:00 Noon will be done the morning of the following day.

Contractor Licenses
A contractor license is required in order to perform work in the City of Sterling. Homeowners may act as their own contractor on work performed on their primary residence and do not need a license to do so. Please send all license inquiries and forms to

There are five types of contractor licenses:

  • Class I – General
  • Class II – Residential
  • Class III – Jobber
  • Class IV – Subcontractor
  • Class V – Utility

Class I and Class II licenses require qualification by passing the ICC contractor’s exam.

Licenses vary in costs and a cost breakdown can be obtained at the Public Works Department. Licenses must be renewed yearly.

Contractor License
Contractor License Renewal

The Code Enforcement Division enforces the nuisance ordinance regarding refuse, rubbish, junk, etc. Refuse should not be placed outside City dumpster's or along alleyways, etc. Picking these items up is not part of the City of Sterling’s routine trash pickup service. Special pickups can be arranged through the City of Sterling Finance Office.

Call Before You Dig
Call before you dig” is a state law. Before you dig a hole to build a fence, plant a tree, or build a structure, you are responsible for finding out the locations of underground lines. Failure to do so could result in injury – even death. The Utility Notification Center of Colorado (UNCC) will help. Please call 811 or 1-800-922-1987.

  Downloadable Permit Applications.  Please send all permit and license inquiries and forms to

Powered By Revize Login