Auto Theft AwarenessAuto theft can happen anywhere. In 2017, there were 21 motor vehicle thefts reported in Sterling. The Sterling Police Department offers you tips on what you can do to help prevent this crime from happening to you:
- Never leave your keys inside your car (in plain view or in the center console).
- Lock your car. You make yourself an easy target by leaving your car doors unlocked.
- Never hide a second set of keys inside your car.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Never leave your car running, even if you'll be gone only for a minute.
- Close car windows completely when parking.
- Don't leave valuables in plain view. Wallets, purses and even computers can be stolen in seconds.
- If you have a garage, use it. When parking your car in the garage, never leave your keys inside the ignition.
Coloradans Against Auto Theft
Together with law enforcement agencies, insurance companies and community partners, the newly formed Coloradans Against Auto Theft (CAAT) coalition is working to put the brakes on auto theft. CAAT has launched "Lockdown," a statewide auto theft prevention initiative to educate the public on what they can do to reduce their chances of becoming a victim of auto theft.
Check out CAAT's auto theft prevention website: www.lockdownyourcar.org, for current auto theft trends, victim support, testimonials and current coalition efforts to prevent auto theft in Colorado.