City of Sterling Fire Department
The City of Sterling Fire Department provides more than just fire protection for our community. The majority of the emergency calls our department answers (over 75%) are EMS related. Our dedicated professionals provide rescue/extrication, emergency medical services, public safety education, fire prevention, hazardous materials response, fire inspections, fire investigations and fire suppression.
Current Fire Fighters work 48 hour shifts. Fire Fighter starting salary is $33,983 annual plus benefits
- 21 years of age
- Valid Colorado’s driver’s license
- EMT-Basic certification (have one year to obtain from date of hire)
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous training and/or experience in operating heavy trucks or in mechanical trades, including tool usage, or in the fire service is desirable
The City of Sterling accepts applications for Fire Fighteronly when there is a position open. A Job Interest Card can be completed on the Neogov website connection located on Job Opportunities page.
Applications are accepted online ONLY through Neogov. You will need to return to the Home Page or click on Human Resources (do not click on the drop-down boxes). Then click on Job Opportunities and you will be directed to the Neogov site. You will need to set up an account if you have not applied on Neogov previously. If you have previously applied to another agency or for another position with the City of Sterling, you will need to enter your username and password. You can update your application and submit without have to complete a new application. If you experience a problem with your username and password or have any questions or problems with this online application, please contact NEOGOV at 877-204-4442. If you forget your username and/or password, please call NEOGOV or click on the “I forgot my username and/or password” link on the NEOGOV login page.
Upon completion and submittal of your application, you should receive an email notification stating your application has been received. If you do not receive this notification, check your application for areas that need to be completed. Then recertify and submit your application (Step 5).
You will receive notification of the written and physical agility test date after the closing date by email. Please pay attention to the date to RSVP for the test. If you do not RSVP by that date, you will not be allowed to test. The email you receive at the bottom of this emailed message only indicates you have received the message, not that the RSVP has been sent. Follow the directions in the email and call or email directly to the address in the message for RSVP to be confirmed.
Fire Fighter Testing:
- Written test
- Time allowed for this test is 2 hours. This test will be scored as soon as possible.
- Applicants are required to have a passing score of 75% or higher.
- Physical Agility Test
- The physical agility test is a six station test, based on fire ground activities. The test time is continuous and must be completed in 5 minutes 30 seconds.
- All testing will be done wearing fire gear – a turn-out coat, helmet and SCBA backpack. (Stations will be demonstrated on test day. To accurately demonstrate the stations, the speed may be slower than the passing requirements.)
The top applicants will participate in a Fire Department Oral Board comprised of the Fire Command Staff.
Candidate(s) chosen for the Fire Fighter position must pass a physical, background investigation, and a pre-employment drug screen.
New Hires with the City of Sterling Fire Department are entitled to many benefits including Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, FPPA Retirement, Paid Time Off (after one year), uniforms and others.
For more information about job applications or employment with the City, contact HR Department at (970) 522-9700.
If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer Firefighter call (970) 522-3823 or stop by the City of Sterling Fire Department at 410 N. 5th St. to pickup an application.